Sunday, 16 February 2014

All aboard for a special TravelRight day - Ding ding!

Welcome to a unique blog, based on Nottingham City Transport's 35 bus route between Bulwell and Nottingham City Centre, using maps copied from a Burrow's Pointer Guide Map of Nottingham c.1960, which you can find on the Notts History website created and managed by Andy Nicholson.

The blog has been created to accompany a one-off day organised by TravelRight, a Bulwell based Nottingham Ridewise project, and generously supported by Nottingham City Transport.

The 35 bus route could fairly be designated Nottingham's 'Heritage Bus Route', for it takes you on a ride through history to a string of 'pre-conquest' communities, all with entries in the Domesday Book of 1086, which is a unique record of who owned what in William the Conquerer's England. Look through its pages and you will find place names at every twist and turn of a 35 bus, beginning with Bulwell, them Hempshill, Strelley, Bilborough, Wollaton, Lenton and finally, of course, Nottingham. To hear these place names in Old English is to hear our forebears speak: Bul(e)uuelle; Hamessal; Straelie/Straleia; Bileburch/burg; Waletone/Ol(l)avestone; Lentone/tune; Snoting(e)ham/quin.

If our 35 was able to go back a thousand years, it would also visit, or go very near, two 'lost' Lenton 'pre-Conquest' communities: Mortune and Sudtune/tone (now remembered as Sutton Passeys, the name having been revived in the 20th century). Nine of Nottingham's fifteen pre-Conquest communities are on its route. No other Nottingham bus route comes close to claiming the title 'Heritage Bus Route'.

The map below accompanies an entry on the Our Nottinghamshire website entitled 'A city greater than the sum of its parts'. The 

All the old photographs are from the Picture the Past website, the online image archive of Derby City Council, Derbyshire County Council, Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council, where there are thousands more photographs not only to look at, but buy as well.

The old adverts have been taken from a c.1936 Nottingham Official Handbook issued by Authority of Nottingham City Council. It is a treasure trove of information.

The orange line on the six maps below shows the route of the 35 from Bulwell to Nottingham City Centre. Many of the places which existed in 1960 have disappeared completely or have been replaced by parks, hotels, nature reserves, tram-tracks, housing and new roads.

The 35 bus route was created in about 1983. Its predecessors were the 55 between Bulwell and Bilborough and the 63 between Wollaton Vale and the City Centre.

If this Ride into History on a 35 has a theme of sorts, then it is housing. Nottingham has much to be proud off when it comes to housing, For all its black spots in the past and its failure to build more public housing in recent decades, the blame for this can be fairly laid at the door of successive central governments of all political persuasions.

Industry runs housing a close second, though in 2014 there is not much to see. In 1960 it would have been very different.


A trolleybus in Bulwell Market Place (enter years started and finished).

Babbington Colliery also known as Cinderhill Colliery (enter dates)

Holden Square, Cinderhill c1950. Also known as Brickyard Square (check).

 Broxtowe Boy by Derrick Buttress story and link to be entered.

Roman Broxtowe link to be entered.

Broxtowe Hall, demolished to make way for the Broxtowe estate. Location marked by the present-day street name, Broxtowe Hall Close.

Oxmoor Wood, Strelley, within ten minutes walk of the 35 bus (see walk page to be added).

At first glance this could be Tuscany, Italy. In fact its a view from Oxmoor Woods.

Balloon Houses, Bilborough, on the Trowell Road, demolished xxxx.

'Tottlebrook Bridge' on the Derby Road, located a few yards west of what is now the Priory Island roundabout.

Sherwood Foresters in September 1914 crossing the River Leen in Lenton, with the old Rose & Crown pub to the left of the photograph.

Spring Close, Lenton, showing the canal. The area was completely cleared to make way for the construction of the Queen's Medical Centre (add Lenton Times reference and link).

Lenton Lodge at Hillside by the Derby Road (add info)

Lenton Times link to be entered

South-west corner of Derby Road / Lenton Boulevard junction.

Lenton Savoy Cinema in 1949, surrounded by buildings (add info about makeover and when).

Nottingham Victoria Station forecourt, with Hotel to the right. Today, only the clock tower and Victoria Hotel remain.

Trolleybuses on Milton Street, outside the Victoria Hotel, in Nottingham City Centre, c1950. The 35 passes this spot every day as it makes its way to its own stop outside the Victoria Centre, by the entrance to John Lewis.

A view of the old Victoria Station clock tower from the 35 bus stop outside John Lewis.

A view down Angel Row, towards Old Market Square, from Mount Street
(add a 2014 photograph yet to be taken).


Each number refers to a location. See list beneath map for details (links to be added).

Map No.
Location details
St Anns Allotments & Visitor Centre
Nottingham Arboretum public park§
General Cemetery (opened 1836 and taken over by Nottingham City Council in 1956. Over 150,00 burials).
Bonington Gallery, Nottingham-Trent University.
Rock City music venue.
Royal Centre (Concert hall and Theatre Royal).
St Barnabas Roman Catholic Cathedral.
Nottingham Playhouse
Albert Hall
Nottingham Central Library (Local Studies Library with exhibition area, 1st floor).
Bromley House (subscription) Library.
Malt Cross Café - Bar (original music hall).
Brian Clough statue.
The Council House (with Tourist Information Centre, entrance on Long Row East).
Nottingham Arts Theatre
Broadway Cinema.
Victoria Leisure Centre and Sneinton Market (Saturdays).
Stonebridge City farm.
Green’s Windmill and Science Centre.
William Booth Memorial Complex (includes Museum).
National Ice Stadium & Arena (home of Nottingham Panthers ice hockey team).
Lace Market Theatre
St Mary’s Church
Galleries of Justice Museum
Nottingham Contemporary Arts Centre
Nottingham Caves entrance and attraction.
Paul Smith shop in historic Willoughby House.
St Peter’s Church
St Nicholas Church
Nottingham Society of Artists Gallery and shop.
Robin Hood statue.
Severns (medieval) House.
Nottingham Castle Museum & grounds.
Brewhouse Yard Museum (open weekends, 12-3.30pm).
Ye Olde Trip To Jersulalem public house.
Nottingham Canal warehouses (now eateries).
Nottinghamshire County Archives Office.
Nottingham Midland Railway Station dates from 1904.
Two good independent bookshops: Five Leaves off Long Row East, opposite the Tourist Information Office, and ‘Page 45’ on Market Street, which specialises in graphic story books of all kinds.
Victoria Traders’ Market on the 1st floor of the Victoria Centre.

LIST churches, pubs and cafes along route.

Some other present-day photographs to be added.
This is a blog page under construction.
Check copyright of map and with Picture the Past.

Robert Howard